Looking for laptop

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Spectral
Councillor
Character name:

Looking for laptop

Post by Spectral » 25 Mar 2007, 04:41

Its my twentieth birthday the day after tomorrow, so Im getting me a laptop. Thing is, I dont know poo about laptops.

Ive been looking at the HP Pavilion dv9000t, as it seems cheap for the stuff you get.

Halp please!

EDIT - Oh yeah, I want it to be capable to run kinda new games kinda smooth at least. No monster, but at least capable.

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 25 Mar 2007, 10:02

I'd check out Asus as my suggestion:

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=5

They are generally well made, and I think the 2 year warranty is global as well so you should be covered by that.

They usually come as a decent package too including carrying bag and everything you'd need, at a very good price. I can let you know the UK trade price for them if you need it for comparison.

As to which model, I'd say Intel Core 2 duo CPU is the way to go on that front. More significant though is the graphics side if you're going to be running games on it (but make sure you get decent ram of course - at least 1Gb I'd say).

As with desktops, you're looking at a choice between Nvidia and ATi on the gfx side. Generally, ATi chipsets produce more processing power per watt of power drained so for a laptop that probably makes them the best choice.

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient
Character name: Anasazi
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Shaman

Post by Pyx » 25 Mar 2007, 16:59

Dell Inspiron 9400 or XPS are nice as well, especially since they come with a kickass screen (1920x1080 resolution!) and a fast graphics card.

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 25 Mar 2007, 17:44

I love IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads (the Z6xx series with ATI displays), but they may be out of your budget range.

Spectral
Councillor
Character name:

Post by Spectral » 26 Mar 2007, 02:46

Thanks guys, you're all aces. <3

Been looking in to it a bit more, 2 gigs of ram and a 17 inch screen is pretty highly prioritized, 512 mb gfx card would be nice too.

Also, what if I import form ,say, the US. Will the keyboards be US standard, or can that usually be customized for your liking? (can't stand english keyboards ;) ) Same goes for power relays I guess.

Alunïe

Post by Alunïe » 26 Mar 2007, 03:55

As Celsan say's. I would also check out Asus machines. The G1 for example is really nice.

One thing to concider is that the graphicscards uses VRAM, up to 512meg of it. That is the graphicscards is taking from the physical ram of your computer so if you buy one with 1gig mem and want's to use 512meg graphics mem you will only have 512meg left for applications. And concidering laptops today comes with Vista installed you want atleast 2gig mem that leaves 1,512 meg for applications, that is before Vista is booted *cough* :)

Spectral
Councillor
Character name:

Post by Spectral » 26 Mar 2007, 04:57

The G1 comes with a 15 inch screen tho doesn't it? Anyway, checked out the G2. A bit overdone imo, with its flashy lights and, high sounds from the fans and not all too fantastic graphics (from what I've read in several reviews).

Still, the graphics bit isn't all that a big deal. As long as I can run WoW, and somewhat newer games.

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 26 Mar 2007, 10:00

If you're looking for a desktop replacer with 17" screen, 2 GB's of memory and a very fast graphics card with 512 mb, I'd sure advise Dell's offerings. I'm happily using it's XPS 1710 machine.

It might seem expensive, but Dell changes it's discounts on a weekly basis. Just wait 'till they have a fairly good offering on it, then call them and then talk an additional EUR 250 of the price tag (f.e. by getting yourself free delivery, free warranty upgrade, free hardware component upgrade and/or an additional 5% discount. It works!

Otherwise you could also check out Toshiba, which with it's Sattelite P100-serie has some nice gaming capable notebooks as well. I've had some good experiences with these notebooks in the past and Toshiba is known to stunt with the prices from time to time.

Do know that you'll have to compromise. If you truly want to be able to game on a notebook you can pretty much forget compactness, lightweight and endurance. If those were the qualities you are looking for in a notebook then you'd better be willing to scale WoW's settings a bit down :wink:

Just to ensure you'll get a complete view of the possibilities you should have a look at these - much more expensive - possibilities from Alienware or Eurocom.

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 26 Mar 2007, 17:50

Lots of good advice from everyone above - ultimately it really depends on your budget.

I'd have to agree with the Dell recommendations as they have geared up heavily for gaming machines now. I'd say perhaps even better than Alienware according to some reviews. Here in the UK, I think the Dell is only eclipsed by a Rock machine but I'm not sure if they sell outside the UK (for all I know they could be a global brand though).

As for buying a US machine, I'd suggest against it unless you were willing to live with the keyboard. The keyboard on my Asus laptop is interchangeable but it does involve taking the machine apart, which if you did it yourself would most likely mean invalidating the warranty. You'd also need to offset the cost saving you might make against the cost of the new keyboard as well.

The only other issue is the power but that most likely just means replacing the kettle lead with whatever normal power leads PC equipment uses in your home country.

Pyx also suggested Toshiba laptops. I'm not up to date with their current range but last time I looked they seemed to not be on the map at all in terms of gaming spec machines. All their laptops had shared memory graphics (which runs the graphics memory off your system RAM, which is very slow compared to normal graphics RAM). If they do now have gaming spec machines with dedicated graphics capability they would be well worth looking into as Toshiba have always made very good laptops (as opposed to Compaq who used to make good ones, then made crap ones, then got bought out by HP I think).

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 26 Mar 2007, 19:44

As Celsan said, avoid notebooks with crappy graphics cards like the plague. The Toshiba I referred to is the Satellite P100-286.

This has a good graphics card (a Nvidia Go 7900GS with 256 mb of memory), 2 GB's of RAM, a Intel Core Duo 2 Ghz processor and a 17" screen. Only things against it are that the screen's resolution is ' only' 1440x900 and that the harddrive can be of the slower type (4200/5400 rpm instead of 7200 rpm).

Spectral
Councillor
Character name:

Post by Spectral » 26 Mar 2007, 23:46

To clear things up; I'm not looking for a desktop replacement. What I am looking for however, is a decent laptop that can be used to play somewhat up-to-date games. I want it to be mobile, but it doesn't have to be lightweight-ish.

Thanks for the advice so far guys! <3

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 27 Mar 2007, 09:49

Yep, even as a non-desktop replacement, you should still go for something with decent graphics. Otherwise the only games you'll be playing are Solitaire ;-)

The Toshiba that Pyx linked looks a good one and the resolution will be fine on a screen that size. The hard disk would be a performance bottleneck but I can't recall seeing any around faster than 5400rpm.

I forgot to mention, Asus do also now sell a laptop hand-embossed in leather if you want to make a fashion statement. Not sure what that statement would be however ;-)

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 27 Mar 2007, 10:37

Dang, forgot you were from Sweden. Don't know about the currency rate of the Swedish Kronor, but here are the direct links to the 'barbara dateror' I mentioned:
- Dell Inspiron 9400 (just swap the 3 year on-site warranty for somewhat less and use the money you save to pimp the notebook somewhat - at least get the best graphics card)
- Toshiba Satellite P100-347 (might take some looking around to find this one for a somewhat more decent price then the one Toshiba recommends)

One last brand I encountered on my own notebook survey a little while ago was Zepto. There you can fully configure a machine to your own taste (although the graphics card is maxed out at a Nvidia Go 7600), but then the price does converge fast to the level of the Dell I mentioned.

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 27 Mar 2007, 13:21

Oh it looks like Rock will ship outside the UK if you're interested in one of those:

http://www.rockdirect.com/

This one looks very nice...

http://www.rockdirect.com/viewNotebook. ... 0CTX%20PRO

Edit: Swedish keyboard option available on it as well it seems...oh and step away from the Vista option....XP Home is all you need ;-)

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 27 Mar 2007, 13:50

Just so you know..."Desktop replacement" (=gaming) laptops usually hog quite a lot of power => their battery capability is minimal, sometimes even only about a hour.

So if you want true portability you might have to settle on a bit less powerful model (using mobility-specific chipsets, like ATI Mobility Radeon, Pentium-M processors, etc..)

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 23 Apr 2007, 11:06

Should you still be looking for a notebook, then this might be an interesting one: the Zepto 6625. Killer specs, good price/quality-ratio and it is a Scandinavian notebook!