rift

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

rift

Post by Jaera » 03 Mar 2011, 09:48

is it good? :)

Tahlali
(Graunwan)
Dark Raven
Character name: Graunwan

Re: rift

Post by Tahlali » 03 Mar 2011, 10:34

Ithi doesn't talk about anything else anymore. He says that best part is that there is no Jae.

I think I will give it a try too.
Ithilian's drunken mission on March 13th 2010: "I'm not going to sleep until Graun says night night."
Ithilian's other drunken mission on November 25th 2011: Not leaving my house until his wife calls at 7 AM and gives some strict orders.

Ithilian
Raven
Character name:

Post by Ithilian » 03 Mar 2011, 10:41

been playing it for 4 days now...It's definitely worth the try.

Lots of similarities between WoW and Rift (obviously :P ) but its a fresh game with pretty awesome graphics update when comparing to Wow.

I'm only @lvl 20 now and no experience on the dungeons, but the questing is fun and at least at the realm where I'm playing the community on Guardians side seems to be mature and we have loads of players trying their first mmorpg :P

Tad expensive 40€, but you do get a whole 30 days of fun with that price, then you get to choose from similar payment plan as blizz has.

Still looking for a guild as awesome as ours though ^^

Cheers,

Ithilian

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 03 Mar 2011, 10:48

We're looking into possibly extending the guild to other games as well, as wow will probably not be eternal anyway. There's no reason to split up if e.g. wow would cease to be our main interest.

Another interesting venue could be the star wars mmo the old republic which is being developed by bioware. There's no release date known for that yet though, so that might still take a while.

I'm not sure if I'm going to buy rift before there's a trial or something. There's still plenty other games to come.

Ithilian
Raven
Character name:

Post by Ithilian » 03 Mar 2011, 13:19

Oh, I totally forgot the best thing in Rift, Jamie is not there...yet ;)

So we really have a healthy community for now :D

Cheers,

Ith

Rezag
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Rezag » 03 Mar 2011, 13:46

Iam flipping coin between Dragon Age 2 and Rift currently I think Dragon Age 2 is going to win even with fresh things Rift is mmo and I think single player Dragon Age might give more relaxing time compared to that with my current bad time table.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 03 Mar 2011, 14:15

Rezag wrote:Iam flipping coin between Dragon Age 2 and Rift currently I think Dragon Age 2 is going to win even with fresh things Rift is mmo and I think single player Dragon Age might give more relaxing time compared to that with my current bad time table.
Agreed, and other games I want to play this year, like ME3, the witcher 2 and fallout new vegas e.g. will probably fill my time for the most part. In the meantime, rift can mature a bit and we'll learn whether it's a fad (like warhammer) or a hit (like wow was in 2004-2005). And maybe later this year we'll get a release date on the old republic as well, which might replace wow for me with a totally different mmo (hopefully), taking hopefully some of the good things swg had before.

Varadin
Raven
Character name:

Post by Varadin » 03 Mar 2011, 18:26

Yeah I'm with Khila on that one i am interested to see The Old Republic as i may change to that and if it's anything like Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic then i will def pick it up. I also heard it had a single player section to it so that will be interesting, as for Rift i'm not sure as of yet i mean it's only just hit so we will see where it goes.
May the force be with you.

Tahlali
(Graunwan)
Dark Raven

Post by Tahlali » 04 Mar 2011, 07:13

Here are my first opinions about RIFT. Played until level 8 or 9.
-Character creation has lot of options and looks nice but it really doesn't do anything for game play.
-Quests are maybe too easy. Like saving soldiers from water you just click them and they swim to shore automaticly compared to wow where you need to drag them to shore.
-Already goldspammers and the game is released today
-Build tree looks promising but there are some bad things. I was planning to level a Blade Dancer rogue but you are forced to take another build already at level 3
-The invasions. If you are low level and just want to quest, it might be impossible during invasions as they can spawn really big bosses to your leveling area. Last night's invasion took like 2 hours.
-Professions: almost same as in wow but you can have three. I took the support professions (profession trainer said it) that should help "jewel crafting" but it seems that still at skill 0, I still need to buy stuff from AH to make anything. There are some "craft materials" I need but at least my support professions can't make it.
-If a mob is right in front of you, it is impossible to target it with mouse.
-People playing it seems more immature than in wow. Someone asked in /general where to find a horse vendor and people gave him hard time about that. Just before I finished for the night I got to the first bigger area and there was a vendor that sold only horses. Ithi can maybe tell why the invasion lasted 2 hours as he seemed to be only one that knew what to do. Problem is that you can't solo those.

All together I think this wont even have a small chance for me to quit wow. This seems to be arcade wow for people who think wow is too hard.
Ithilian's drunken mission on March 13th 2010: "I'm not going to sleep until Graun says night night."
Ithilian's other drunken mission on November 25th 2011: Not leaving my house until his wife calls at 7 AM and gives some strict orders.

Ithilian
Raven
Character name:

Post by Ithilian » 04 Mar 2011, 07:33

Yeah, arcade wow is pretty well said. I have to agree on the easiness of questing compared to wow..leveling is pretty fast and easy.

Good place to get info about the professions and builds:
http://rift.zam.com/wiki/

The main reason for the invasion to last so long was most likely that peeps did not want to close the rifts as they wanted to harvest currency :P
Or they didn't know what f*** they were doing..at least big part of the raid was in the totally wrong area most of the time. /yell *the big boss is at coordinates x.y, come here* and most were just nuking some totally irrelevant small thrash mob and dying to it ...

When selecting souls, this might be handy:
http://rift.zam.com/wiki/Rift_101-_Soul ... %28Rift%29

Trion has already once or twice closed some parts of the game and are fixing the game on the run, yesterday a profession was closed because someone had found a gold exploit, apparently you could craft something cheap and sell it to vendor with a very good %.

I managed to find a guild yesterday composing of wow veterans....they are already planning the endgame and raids, only a few people talked about the lore and meaning behind the questing...most just aim for dungeons and raids..which was kinda the opposite what I was expecting from the game.

Trion needs to do a lot of work and community needs to grow before Rift can threaten wow at any level.

Thanks for the good points Graun.

Cheers,

Ithilian

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 04 Mar 2011, 09:44

The same old story then. Wow evolved a lot since 2004-2005 with regards to gameplay. Rift was probably also rushed to release in the end, like so many games that just want to get the game 'out there' so that there can be some real feedback from the beta-tes... *cough* players out there.

I wouldn't be surprised if the end-game content is very limited or almost non-existant still. That wrecked age of conan at the start when people reached max level and there was nothing to do.

Btw, sounds a bit like a joke to save someone who's drowning by just attending him to the fact that he could simply swim to shore. :P Soldier: "D'oh, why didn't I think of that??"

Tahlali
(Graunwan)
Dark Raven

Post by Tahlali » 04 Mar 2011, 10:05

I guess they were supposed to be unconscious but they woke up just by talking to them.

Clarisse
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Clarisse » 04 Mar 2011, 15:11

This far i've liked it. allthough with this internet i wont get all out from it. Only prob i really have is i'm having dam hard time to decide wich class to be. But atm i'm on Guardian side shard/server kelpmere and character name Lieronla.
And grau that 3different "talent trees" at same time gives so many different possibilitys to make char.

Solisil
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Solisil » 06 Mar 2011, 19:21

I tried it a bit during beta, and was plesantly surprised with how polished
it was even though it wasn't released yet.
Both in regards of graphics and game play.

So I'd might take a look at it.
A couple of friends of mine from Skellefteå is playing on the Argent shard,
(rp pve), but it would be nice to be on the same server.
So where are you guys playing? Have you gathered on Kelpmere?
"All druids believe in god, we call it Nature"

Tahlali
(Graunwan)
Dark Raven

Post by Tahlali » 06 Mar 2011, 20:28

Now this is a story, all about how
my life got flipped, turned upside-down,
And I'd like to take a minute,
So just sit right there,
I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Sanctum

In West Silverwood, born and raised,
On the Argent Glade is where I spent most of my days
Chillin out, maxin', relaxin' all cool,
And all shootin some wolves outside of the school
When a couple of rifts, who were up to no good,
Started makin' trouble in my neighborhood,
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said 'You're movin with your auntie and uncle in Sanctum!'

Actually here is the story about a high elf rogue called Tahlali just trying to chill in the woods. Tahlali likes long walks in the woods, picking some herbs and shrooms. Maybe to smoke them or maybe to sell them. Who knows, but business is good. Only thing messing his high mind are the openings in the sky and earth. Those things cause some creatures to mess his gathering adventures. "Well", thinks Tahlali, "I guess only thing I can do is to try and stop those thingies". So he joins some strangers and starts fighting the creatures and rifts. "I think this shouldn't take that long". But how wrong was he. Those phenomenons seem to be all around the woods. But after some time the woods are purified and Tahlali continues his search for some chronic.

He finds few good spots and gathers some plants for "medicinal" use. Suddenly the woods change again. The rifts open and creatures are back. "WTF?", Tahlali shouts, "Didn't I just kill you like 15 minutes ago?" Other adventurers are back to start the slaying. Now Tahlali decides to walk around in the woods and continue his hobbies. It doesn't take long to see that it is impossible. The rifts and invasions are everywhere and their numbers just keep growing as people aren't destroying the rifts. So Tahlali can either just go back home or start helping on cleansing the forests again, and again, and again, and again.

I think I've played this game for 6-8 hours and at least 60% of the time has been fighting the damn invasion and rifts. If there aren't enough people to do that it is impossible. It already feels like I am forced to watch all Rob Schneider movies every night. Or going to Hellfire Peninsula at level 58 and finding out that all mobs are Fel Reavers. If your quests are in the path of invasions, you really can't do anything before the invasions are stopped. It might take one or more hours depending on how many and how stupid the people are. I will try to give some time for the game to see if the next area is the same.

Solisil
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Solisil » 06 Mar 2011, 23:56

Yeah, that seems to be one of the flaws with the game.
And if the server (shard) is a bit low populated that doesn't help.
Thought they'd tuned that a bit from the beta.
"All druids believe in god, we call it Nature"

Ithilian
Raven
Character name:

Post by Ithilian » 07 Mar 2011, 07:37

Well, the rifts get closed eventually..but yeah low levels have a hard time questing when a lvl18 mob from a rift spawns on top of you :P
Run Forrest, run! But you wont get far...

Sincerely, potential is there..but I'm now at level15 and I'm getting tired. Rift, questing, invasion, questing, rift, rift... it would be more fun if the rifts werent all hack'n slash type of events. So far there has been no mechanic what so ever on any encounter I have been in. I don't think we have any healers on the invasions, but still the aoe heals bard's make is enough to keep all alive. :/

Quests are not building up to anything, they are just quest filling the void in between rifts or something Also, it would not be so damn hard to mark the vendors and trainers with a tag when you scroll over with mouse, I spent too much time going thru all the trainers and vendors trying to find the one I need. Also a profession intro or a tutorial would have been nice...one explaining the benefits of each profession to another. This should be handy; profession guide:
http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Profession

Lots of things that not yet perfected, luckily Trion is working on most of the complaints already, but why there was a Beta even in the first place? All the annoyances I have seen, are stuff that should have been fixed in beta.

Cheers,

Ithilian

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 07 Mar 2011, 09:13

Ah, the joys of playing a game right after pre-beta... I mean release :P.

Clarisse
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Clarisse » 07 Mar 2011, 16:15

Yes at starting zone its anoying to be low lvl with all the rifts there but at least on my server we have had even 3 full raids to take down the rifts so not really a problem. But yes sometimes it gets anoying but still i love it! All though it might be that since i've been thinking new start for sometime that its awesome that why. Atm i think i'm gonna play this month and see after that will i want to continue or come back to wow.... cant afford to pay both. And for this moment it looks like a break from wow.

Also i like the fact that there are huge raids gathering together to "save" the zones from rift's and you can join them without needing to yell all around that invite me!

Ithilian
Raven
Character name:

Post by Ithilian » 07 Mar 2011, 17:02

Aye! Autojoining for open raid groups during rifts is really nice. Unless your raid is full of tards :P
This could be a nice thing to add to WoW when we have Tol Barad :D

"Raid is like a box of chocolades..." ;)

Ith