New iphone 4

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

New iphone 4

Post by Alikh » 09 Jun 2010, 15:36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJYoj3HV ... re=popular

I was actually contemplating getting the iphone successor or an android phone, but seeing this made me doubt apple's ability to actually innovate as they say they do. I mean, even on my older htc phone, I have 'face time' but with 3g calling and it works to other phones as well. Apple makes a bid at wifi-only and on top of that, only supports this among other iphone 4's.

That, to me, sounds like absolute total crap. I am also wondering whether in fact their so-called best resolution holds up even to my current phone, let alone the htc hd2 or phones like the samsung halo.

The only upside to the iphone 4 now looks to be, yet again, the app store. Everyone's dog wants to code apps for the iphone and neglects the other phones mostly. That alone actually could be a good reason to still go for an iphone 4, unless other app stores suddenly bloom.
It's sad seeing apple actually getting away with making a phone with such shitty new features that have been around for years.

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Re: New iphone 4

Post by Rhaena » 09 Jun 2010, 15:59

I despise Apple and all the smarmy toss-pottery that goes with every single one of their products, so maybe I'm a little bit biased, but I've been extremely happy with my recently purchased Android phone (Xperia X10) and my iDiot friends have yet to show me an iPhone app that I haven't been able to find a match for on the Android market.

Although, I have played with a mate's HTC Desire - and I must say it's a little faster and smoother than the X10.

Also, Android has the advantage of not having it's app store controlled by Apple, which means that legally suspect content - such as emulators are more readily available. Plus, if you want to develop for it you won't need to go by a Mac (which costs £50000 and your heterosexuality).
You no take candle!

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 09 Jun 2010, 16:56

Well, the big question ofcourse is: does it have the jiggle app?

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient
Character name: Anasazi
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Shaman

Post by Pyx » 09 Jun 2010, 17:11

/facepalm

Pyx, happy owner of an iPhone since 2008. For me the valuable new aspects of the iPhone 4 would be the quadrupled screen resolution (bridging new iPad tailored apps to the iPhone) and doubled battery longevity. Everything else it still does in the same excellent way. All other 'innovations' are purely aimed at gizmo freaks who like to compare specs, but never really use a tool for its purpose anyway :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 09 Jun 2010, 17:49

Pyx wrote:/facepalm

Pyx, happy owner of an iPhone since 2008. For me the valuable new aspects of the iPhone 4 would be the quadrupled screen resolution (bridging new iPad tailored apps to the iPhone) and doubled battery longevity. Everything else it still does in the same excellent way. All other 'innovations' are purely aimed at gizmo freaks who like to compare specs, but never really use a tool for its purpose anyway :mrgreen:
Similarly, people voted for G.W. Bush junior. Twice!

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 09 Jun 2010, 18:04

2nd vote for android.

dare to be different :P

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 09 Jun 2010, 20:03

I'm extremely happy with my Nokia N900. Heck, it's your standard debian linux undereath (like Android too).

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 09 Jun 2010, 21:49

Alikh wrote:
Pyx wrote:/facepalm

Similarly, people voted for G.W. Bush junior. Twice!
G.W. Bush' resolution got quadrupled as well?!
ImageImage

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 09 Jun 2010, 21:50

Zarhan wrote:I'm extremely happy with my Nokia N900. Heck, it's your standard debian linux undereath (like Android too).
You're a Finn, 'nuff said :mrgreen:
ImageImage

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 09 Jun 2010, 21:51

Jaera wrote:2nd vote for android.

dare to be different :P
Says mr 'consoles suck, PC rules, *Cricket, cricket*, hey let me go buy a console too quickly!' :lol:
ImageImage

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 09 Jun 2010, 22:26

i now amend that to. ps3s suck! :P

Bastille
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Bastille » 10 Jun 2010, 06:36

Jaera wrote:i now amend that to. ps3s suck! :P
Haha, didn't I say something like this yesterday while we were killing the Horde boss :D
“A choice between killing and dying is no choice at all. You have to be realistic about these things"

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 10 Jun 2010, 09:34

Pyx wrote:G.W. Bush' resolution got quadrupled as well?!
So they finally catch up to normal resolutions. That actually makes it an option among many phones, instead of hopelessly lowres like the iphone 3g.

I wonder though if they can also price it competitively. As long as they don't think that they can put a price tag on 'face time' with wifi (hardly available for free if you move around) or 'multitasking'.

Funny how people in the US wow at 'face time' because they apparently have never seen video phones. Go bring it to the 'world' apple, you go girl.

Another thing, ipad resolution is 1024 x 768 while iphone 4 is 960 x 640, so apps written for ipad might be too large for the iphone 4 unless they are made to scale.

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 10 Jun 2010, 21:23

Another vote for the X10 here - I got one about a week or so back and have been very impressed so far. Only thing it doesn't seem to do that my old Nokia N85 did was Rsap (which I completely forgot to check for on the new phone...oh well, maybe in 2 years time when my contract is up for renewal....)

Ipad won't be a big seller.

Oh and Rhi, Sony have apparently been big on committing to regular updates for the X10 so we should see good improvements in due course (ie upgrading from 1.6 to 2.1 or whatever the HTC's are already on).

Bumbler
Raven
Character name:

Post by Bumbler » 10 Jun 2010, 21:27

I'm an i-Phone user because they where free on my contract (a big draw). Mine also does several things my last phone didn't. Pretty much everything! That said my last one was a piece of s*** but it did have a better camera. Oh, and I could customise my own ringtones without having to purchase the content from a paticular store! (grr!).
Ladies - Looking for a way to rebel against your parents?
call 1-800-BUMBLER!

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 11 Jun 2010, 09:52

How is the touchscreen for the X10? Is it capacitive like the iphone and touch hd2 (making it much more responsive to touch) and does it have multi-touch (pinching etc.)?
Only downside is that you have to do everything with your fingers then, but as long as it's accurate, that doesn't matter.
I don't want to have to really press the touch screen down for it to respond, like the resistive screens.

Rhaena
Ancient

Post by Rhaena » 11 Jun 2010, 11:55

X10 is resistive, and the front-end doesn't support multi-touch.
You no take candle!

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 11 Jun 2010, 11:57

no its capacitive...

hence why you cant use a stylus

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 11 Jun 2010, 11:59

Rhaena
Ancient

Post by Rhaena » 11 Jun 2010, 12:16

Jaera wrote:no its capacitive...
D'oh! I got them mixed up in my head :S

And you can get styluses (styli?) for capacative screens - although they cost a little more than the usual plastic stick - I've also heard an AAA battery (or a pencil wrapped in foil) works too. :)
You no take candle!