New iphone 4

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Re: New iphone 4

Post by Jaera » 11 Jun 2010, 12:28

yeah you can also use severed fingers.

apparantley :mrgreen:

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 11 Jun 2010, 12:46

But for how long? :P
You'd think that after a while that severed finger is really dead and inanimate for any electrical currents to still circulate.

Too bad that it's not multi touch then (the X10). That actually speaks against it.

Souvraya
Raven
Character name:

Post by Souvraya » 11 Jun 2010, 13:42

Bumbler wrote:I'm an i-Phone user because they where free on my contract (a big draw). Mine also does several things my last phone didn't. Pretty much everything! That said my last one was a piece of s*** but it did have a better camera. Oh, and I could customise my own ringtones without having to purchase the content from a paticular store! (grr!).
You can actually make your own ring tones for the iPhone. You just need iTunes, and the correct file ending (which I of course can't remember right now. >.<). They can't be longer than 40 seconds, but you can convert all mp3 files. I'll go see if I can dig up the process and translate it to English. :)

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Post by Rhaena » 11 Jun 2010, 14:13

Alikh wrote:Too bad that it's not multi touch then (the X10). That actually speaks against it.
If you're set on multi-touch - not too fond of it myself - have you considered an HTC Desire?
You no take candle!

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 11 Jun 2010, 19:15

The htc desire actually looks good. I'm wondering though, as my previous experience with htc + windows mobile was that they don't give a sh*t whether they've got all the hardware drivers covered so that it runs at max speed with no responsiveness issues. Also, they don't give a sh*t about their customers actually wanting real updates.

I'm looking at either android or iphone in terms of os, so the htc touch hd2 (followup to my current) is not really what I'm after with windows mobile. Although the new windows phone 7 os might be nice. Still, the microsoft 'app store' is rubbish.

Does anyone have the htc desire here?

Bumbler
Raven
Character name:

Post by Bumbler » 12 Jun 2010, 01:20

You can actually make your own ring tones for the iPhone. You just need iTunes, and the correct file ending (which I of course can't remember right now. >.<). They can't be longer than 40 seconds, but you can convert all mp3 files. I'll go see if I can dig up the process and translate it to English.
Yeah I heard that federation lie too. The idea is that you can splice a mp3 file in i-Tunes and then use the convert option. An older post on the forums I was checking said about just converting the file to m4r (I think) and doing something in i-Tunes which isn't on the menu in the newer versions. The convert option will not work unless the original mp3 was brought from i-Tunes. That is the error message you get. It doesn't matter if you legally aquired it.

That said, there is a piece of software you can get that hacks the i-phone so you can see the directories in Explorer. That way you can just drop the files into the phone directly. I will be trying it soon because I miss my Mighty Boosh ringtone.
Ladies - Looking for a way to rebel against your parents?
call 1-800-BUMBLER!

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 12 Jun 2010, 07:19

Bumbler wrote:
You can actually make your own ring tones for the iPhone. You just need iTunes, and the correct file ending (which I of course can't remember right now. >.<). They can't be longer than 40 seconds, but you can convert all mp3 files. I'll go see if I can dig up the process and translate it to English.
Yeah I heard that federation lie too. The idea is that you can splice a mp3 file in i-Tunes and then use the convert option. An older post on the forums I was checking said about just converting the file to m4r (I think) and doing something in i-Tunes which isn't on the menu in the newer versions. The convert option will not work unless the original mp3 was brought from i-Tunes. That is the error message you get. It doesn't matter if you legally aquired it.

That said, there is a piece of software you can get that hacks the i-phone so you can see the directories in Explorer. That way you can just drop the files into the phone directly. I will be trying it soon because I miss my Mighty Boosh ringtone.
sounds like a royal pain in the arse.

thats the problem with the iphone, unless you ant to jailbreak it, its a pretty closed system. unlike android which is configurable to the nth degree. but the iphone is a consumerist device for the masses, we nerds look down on such things!

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 23 Jun 2010, 14:15

Vodafone is also going to be selling the iphone 4 which makes it slightly more of a deal than having to stick with t-mobile. On the other hand, apple has been caught using the exact location of people in their new ios4 operating system for multiple uses like targeted ads based on location and interests. If you don't accept that, you are not allowed to continue use of the iphone store for music etc.
Apple says that it anonymizes the data, but ofcourse it's not that hard to relate a person to that data if you want to.

The only time when such data should be allowed to be used is in one-time one-way transactions where no data is stored in any way other than on the device itself. The Dutch have learnt their lesson in ww2 when their meticulous administration of the population led to the quick apprehension of that data for malicious use by the germans.

The practices by google and apple and microsoft to some degree are very worrisome as they collect lots of data about people, supposedly for harmless use. Sadly that's not even in their power alone.