WoW rig

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Re: WoW rig

Post by Jaera » 21 Aug 2009, 13:43

good for you. pointless addition to the thread! unless you use ssds. then you cant use the inexpensive argument. http://www.dabs.com/products/ocz-techno ... 4294963789 obscene! i just bought a third 160gb hdd to add to my existing raid 0 array and it cost 20 bucks!

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 22 Aug 2009, 22:31

water cooling roockkksss. you must get it! practically silent pc with massive amounts of raw power :D

till it breaks just before a raid no doubt :)

gpu not passing 55c is 30 degrees better than the stock fan and higher clocked! (gtx 280)

/happy camper despite the installation pain

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient
Character name: Anasazi
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Shaman

Post by Pyx » 22 Aug 2009, 23:32

8)
ImageImage

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 24 Aug 2009, 20:00

Well, hooray... Parts arrived today, and i almost got to test them, BUT apparently 480W psu wasn't enough... I can't even describe how angry i am at the moment! So, now i'll need to order new psu too, any suggestions?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 24 Aug 2009, 20:41

Bleh, that sucks. Did you get a unbranded or dodgy PSU? Because if that's the case it could well only deliver the advertised wattage on peak instead of steady output ...

I'd say go for a good brand, f.e. Coolermaster, beQuiet (yrly) or OCZ. If they put 450W on the sticker, it will darn sure deliver that.
ImageImage

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 24 Aug 2009, 21:14

This is h.e.c. and i really can't say anything about this. Bought this 5 years ago, and i can't even rember price! Oh well, i guess this HD4890 wants tiny bit more power than my old 7900GTO. :D

Oh yeah, and this SSD drive sure is faster! Too bad that i can't test it with it's full potential yet :S

I wonder how's Zalman's PSU's? The shop where i am going to order doesen't have any BeQuiets or OCZ's in storage at the moment.

Meh, i guess it was rather naive to think that i can get computer with 700€... :roll:

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient

Post by Pyx » 24 Aug 2009, 22:53

Zalman is good!
ImageImage

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 25 Aug 2009, 09:49

480W isn't enough? What kind of monster are you running?-)

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 25 Aug 2009, 12:24

750 wasnt enough for mine!

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 25 Aug 2009, 13:56

Hmph, seems that PSU has 5-10 day delivery, so I guess I need to wait until next week. Too bad, would really love to see how this thing runs WoW.

Vladimar
Raven
Character name:

Post by Vladimar » 25 Aug 2009, 18:45

i have an termaltake 700 watt, its quite good, quiet and not too expensive.
all the wires are nicely packed so you dont get an chaos of wires and you can unplug all the cables so you dont have cables you dont use.

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 28 Aug 2009, 15:14

Hehe, finally got to test my new rig! So far seems awesome! Ultra settings and 1920x1080 resolution and I get steady 60 fps! There's slight drop on Dalaran though, minimum of 30 fps. Crysis Warhead works smoothly with gamer settings and 1920x1080. :D

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 28 Aug 2009, 15:29

1080? silly console res! 1200 is the way to go.

also gamer setting? ew! ew i say! :)

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 28 Aug 2009, 15:41

I'm playing with 2560x1600.

Weird part is that for older games that don't support so high resolutions, 1280x800 looks worse than, say, 1024x768, even though you don't need scaling..

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 28 Aug 2009, 15:55

havent noticed that myself. but pretty much all games work with 1920x1200

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 28 Aug 2009, 16:05

Well, I'm talking about e.g. I-War 2, Baldur's Gate, Half-Life 1, and so on...You know, classics.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 28 Aug 2009, 16:28

i see well, http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wi ... Games_List is pretty good for enabling widescreen res.

with hl 1 you can get the source version which supports all resssesss and is practically the same as the original (but better water and physics)

but ofc the old pixel based games which used to run at 640 wont scale at all unless people make new sprites etc for them

Elhaz
Raven
Character name:

Post by Elhaz » 28 Aug 2009, 20:22

Jaera wrote:1080? silly console res! 1200 is the way to go.

also gamer setting? ew! ew I say! :)
Difference between 1080 and 1200 sounds very minor. Not going to buy new screen because of it. Plus, using my tv as screen saves room in my small apartment.

And Crysis runs very smoothly, so i guess there would be some room to crank settings up. But as long as it runs smoothly i'm happy and it looks good with gamer settings. FPS games with fps under 30 is like drinking tar.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 28 Aug 2009, 20:26

In case of crysis - if you are running XP look for the hack to enable the "very high" settings that normally only work for Vista.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 29 Aug 2009, 22:30

Elhaz wrote:
Jaera wrote:1080? silly console res! 1200 is the way to go.

also gamer setting? ew! ew I say! :)
Difference between 1080 and 1200 sounds very minor. Not going to buy new screen because of it. Plus, using my tv as screen saves room in my small apartment.

And Crysis runs very smoothly, so I guess there would be some room to crank settings up. But as long as it runs smoothly I'm happy and it looks good with gamer settings. FPS games with fps under 30 is like drinking tar.
Work out the number of pixels less. its not much.

anyway check your crysis warhead fps, i bet it isnt much more than 30. it feels more because of the motion blur.