G T eyyyyyy 4

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Cortex
Raven
Character name:

Re: G T eyyyyyy 4

Post by Cortex » 05 Dec 2008, 14:55

So i dont need to be online to save the game. I need to be signed in on windows live offline account. WTF is an offline account that needs signing in??? Why cant the game just save like all the games do. I dont want their crappy online content to it, for that i have wow.

And here I was thinking Rockstar is a good company. What a world of delusions i had.

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 14:59

There's also this (you can also set this up in firewall I guess).

Code: Select all

Add these lines to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file to block checking for updates:

127.0.0.1 rsgames.hs.llnwd.net
127.0.0.1 updates.rockstargames.com
127.0.0.1 socialclub.rockstargames.com
127.0.0.1 www.gamesforwindows.com

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 05 Dec 2008, 15:03

Jaera wrote:and if securom slows your pc that much its time for an upgrade matey :P seriously, i havent seen any evidence of this rootkit as you call it, affecting my perf in any way.
A rootkit is hard to find on your computer (and even harder to remove) and does things secretly behind your back. The only purpose of a rootkit is either to control your computer or to spy on you.

So, what if I'd spy on what you're doing (like logging your keys) while not affecting your performance. Would you not mind me doing that? It's not costing you anything in perf.

Maybe they're not outright spying as such, but it is very reminiscent to them implanting a chip under your skin and then controlling whether you can use that new coffee machine you bought from them (you have to hold the chip close to the machine), so that you only use it to make their coffee.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 15:13

There are some forum postings where folks have been saying that background processes from Rockstar Social Club and Securom have taken 5-10% of their CPU....as a workaround they suggest as soon as starting the game, alt-tabbing and killing RsSC and then continuing the game.

10% is hardly minor.

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 15:28

ye i know what you guys mean, i started this thread off liking the game. now i hate it and just want my money back :(

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 15:36

Jaera wrote:ye i know what you guys mean, i started this thread off liking the game. now i hate it and just want my money back :(
Hehe. Back in the day I didn't *know* about the fact that movies were, in fact, produced and shown in theatres in widescreen format. These days if I see 4:3 (or even 16:9) cropped movie it feels horrendous :), back then I didn't know better :)

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 15:37

Zarhan wrote:There are some forum postings where folks have been saying that background processes from Rockstar Social Club and Securom have taken 5-10% of their CPU....as a workaround they suggest as soon as starting the game, alt-tabbing and killing RsSC and then continuing the game.

10% is hardly minor.
i agree bud. its annoying, i think the reason i didnt notice the perf impact was that every other game atm is gpu limited, so extra cpu load wouldnt notice

maybe im a anti-securom convert, you meanies!

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 15:46

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4555340 ... OPER-FeD0R

Gets better, now it's just a 27 kb exe to get things working.

Also, several folks are saying that this is only thing that made it work on x64 Vista. Are you sure Jae that you are actually running the game with 64-bit Windows? Or is it just 64-bit CPU and you are running 32-bit Vista?

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 15:48

trust me its x64 :)

had to delete all local files on steam and will have to redownload the lot again.

does that torrent remove securom only?

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 15:51

Securom and retail activation.

Steam releases are a different beast...no idea about those.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 15:55

yeah, well ill give it a go. cant hurt :) ill report when its done

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 16:04

BTW, reason it probably didn't start for you:

* The reason the menu screen was black for me for so long is because it must download a file every time you start the game, since the menu background is actually an online updating news page.

Source:

http://hellforge.gameriot.com/blogs/Ran ... on-Your-PC (down at the "UPDATED" section)

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 16:07

nah thats not it. wasnt even in the game. the seperate launcher thing crahsed before anything went fullscreen

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 18:22

found this :D

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 07 Dec 2008, 21:30

Someone tried these to increase fps?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... p?t=763163

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 07 Dec 2008, 23:19

tried some,

the main boosts came from disabling SLI and the new 180.84 drivers.

Thuren
Dark Raven
Character name:

Post by Thuren » 09 Dec 2008, 15:00

I don't know if this is helpful for you guys but I finished playing the game months ago, on my sofa as Jaera pointed out. So if you guys ever get to the stage where you want to talk about the missions or gameplay things like that, give me a nudge.
ImageImage

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 10 Dec 2008, 11:39

Ok, just installed the darn thing.

Also used the razor crack from http://gf.wiretarget.com/gta_4.htm to skip all stupid signups and requiring to keep DVD in drive. Basically installed the game with my Ethernet cable yanked off.

Made shortcut "GTAIV.EXE -norestrictions -nomemrestrict" to give me better configurability.

Resolution: 1400x1050 (max my monitor confortably allows, I'm planning to get 30" Samsung with 2560x1600 sometime tho :)), Geforce 8800, E8500 @ 3,16 GHz, 4 GB of RAM

Skipped the whole social club thing, made offline account for windows live.

The "norestrictions" option allows me to set graphics as I choose.

Texture detail to medium, view distance 60, all others at max, running benchmark...results:

Average FPS: 38,47, CPU usage 95%, Video Mem usage 98%, System Memory usage 59%.

Anyway, I can play with 30fps, so works for me.

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 10 Dec 2008, 11:54

Sounds acceptable. I might buy the game now.
And I was thinking of making a live account anyway for my windows mobile phone.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 10 Dec 2008, 11:59

texture medium?! ew! :P

i was playing the game properly last night and it was a lot of fun to be honest. i get 44 on the bench @1920 high-highest. but obv not that high in game.