G T eyyyyyy 4

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Re: G T eyyyyyy 4

Post by Alikh » 05 Dec 2008, 11:38

Pyx wrote:Your loss, I'll just enjoy hasslefree gaming and highdef movies myself :wink:
Actually, it's rockstar's loss. If they wanna go ahead and alienate a large portion of the market.

By the way, why would the xbox/ps3 remain hasslefree? It's the same as with mac users thinking they're impervious to viruses. Now apple is recommending anti-virus as well. It's just what they are targeting that matter to virus developers.
The same will happen once publishers find out that xbox/ps3 is actually MORE pirated than pc games. Or at least as much. Then DRM hell will break loose on your precious console. You'll have to phone to the publisher before you can even enter that disc or your console will explode as a precautionary measure that you might be a pirate.

As long as consoles have those wiggly joypads without proper keyboards or at least a more comprehensive control mechanism, I won't see them as more than social playthings that kids can use in the living room while you're playing the serious poo in the computer room (where you actually need reflexes to play a fps instead of auto-aim).

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 05 Dec 2008, 11:46

Jaera wrote:Piracy is a pathetic excuse for not being able to make it run. grrrrr GOD these DRM moaners drive me crazy!! its ONE activation, get over it or dont play the game. dont be a dirty thief!
Who's pirating? I'm sure all of us here are BUYING the game and THEN downloading a crack to be able to play the game normally. Noone's stealing here (did you buy vista btw?).

And to say it's only the activation is naive. Do you know securom and what it does to your computer? Do you know that at least part of any crash you might have is due to securom doing poo it's not supposed to, just like any other 'rootkit'? It can e.g. integrate in your context menu for some hidden checks (don't know what it would wanna do there anyway) and then whenever you rclick the some files, like some text file, it crashes explorer.exe (had to disable the securom context menu poo).

What I want, is to have a clean windows without any slow-down apps (like securom) and then running my game completely dedicated so it runs at max speed.

Luckily, I haven't bought gta iv yet, and I'll wait until they made it acceptable to buy it. I love fallout 3 with its built-in circumvention of securom (by simply running the game executable itself).

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 11:48

Zarhan wrote:
Jaera wrote:Piracy is a pathetic excuse for not being able to make it run. grrrrr GOD these DRM moaners drive me crazy!! its ONE activation, get over it or dont play the game. dont be a dirty thief!
I paid €34,99 NOT to be treated like a thief.

Guess they don't want my money.

It's NOT the activation. It's having to create accounts to Live and Rockstar Clubs. I don't want or need those for a single-player game. And it's having to apparently keep the DVD in drive during playing (screw you, that's the reason I've gotten cracks for all my games that I've bought and paid for already). Heh, in the case of Civilization III, higher resolutions started working WITH the crack. In case of GTA San Andreas, I couldn't get the game to run due to my DVD drive not working with securom...had to get the crack.

DRM is a disease.
thats cool. pay the money then download the torrent if you like. im just against people using drm as an excuse to not pay for it.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 11:50

Kolos wrote:
Who's pirating? I'm sure all of us here are BUYING the game and THEN downloading a crack to be able to play the game normally. Noone's stealing here (did you buy vista btw?).
im not talking about you guys per se. ive just been reading the forums on steam etc watching people say they returned their games and downloaded them illegally afterwards.

oh and kolos. did you buy your vista? (you cheeky person you :P) i have pirated games before but ive stopped completely as it made me feel i was ripping off hard working folk. so i dont anymore.

and if securom slows your pc that much its time for an upgrade matey :P seriously, i havent seen any evidence of this rootkit as you call it, affecting my perf in any way.

its sure not the reason gta runs like crap

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 12:03

Oh and ZAR! tell me what CPU you have. you too kolos. i will tell you how badly it will run :)

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 12:06

3,16GHz Core Duo 2 (E8500 I think).

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 12:10

oh dear :)

it doesnt like dual cores. im guessing you will get roughly 30fps on the bench at max setings 1900x1200. and more if you reduce anything.

oh and before you say thats enough, the benchmark is not what you get when the game is running, you probably get half of what it says :S

my core 2 is at 3.7 and i get marginally more, still unplayable. lets hope they fix it.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 12:16

Actually, there are statements that Securom background processes might be eating that CPU :)

Haven't obviously been able to test with GTA 4 but when it arrives I'll be installing crack right away. If I get 60 fps (well, I'm happy with e.g. 1280x960 - that's the rez I play WoW with anyway) and you don't then the reason is right there.

Has happened with other games...

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 12:30

if that happens ill be really happy :)

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 13:45

now the game wont even start. sigh

im trying to get a refund from steam but they are being their usual annoying selves. im going to stick with games that dont require a quad core. like every other game in the world!

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 14:00

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient

Post by Alikh » 05 Dec 2008, 14:11

Jaera wrote:Oh and ZAR! tell me what CPU you have. you too kolos. i will tell you how badly it will run :)
I have an intel quad core 9450 with a ROG (republic of gamers) mobo with 4 GB ram. I still use my old 8800 gts, but since gta iv for pc doesn't use the gfx card to the fullest anyway (not even sli), that won't matter much.

Fallout 3 and far cry 2 run great with this setup and those are among the nicest looking games right now, so if gta iv, which looks nice but doesn't cut it with the aforementioned games, wouldn't run great as well, then that is a fault of the programmers or overhead from all those extra things you need to be running while playing it.

Btw James, refunds by steam are cut off because of the large amount of customers wanting it. They only refunded the first few (apparently).

Lucky I didn't buy it straight away :P.

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 14:24

Steam forums seem to hint that using option

LaunchGTAIV.exe -norestrictions (source: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... stcount=15 )

will help, because among other things then you are free to adjust your graphic settings and it skips Social club signup.

Another built-in bypass?

Interesting stuff later in thread: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... stcount=40

So even though GTA supposedly "intelligently" limits your graphics details, if you bypass that and just set everything to max the effect is not so big..

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 14:32

Kolos wrote:
Jaera wrote:Oh and ZAR! tell me what CPU you have. you too kolos. i will tell you how badly it will run :)
I have an intel quad core 9450 with a ROG (republic of gamers) mobo with 4 GB ram. I still use my old 8800 gts, but since gta iv for pc doesn't use the gfx card to the fullest anyway (not even sli), that won't matter much.

Fallout 3 and far cry 2 run great with this setup and those are among the nicest looking games right now, so if gta iv, which looks nice but doesn't cut it with the aforementioned games, wouldn't run great as well, then that is a fault of the programmers or overhead from all those extra things you need to be running while playing it.

Btw James, refunds by steam are cut off because of the large amount of customers wanting it. They only refunded the first few (apparently).

Lucky I didn't buy it straight away :P.
safe to say my pc is a bit faster than yours K, and i can confirm crysis farcry fallout etc all run amazingly well and look a lot better than GTA. of mines not a quad, but with the 280s and i also have an rog mobo and 4gigs of ram :P, however as this is a bad port that is cpu dependant you may be ok. will still run much worse than the 3 games i mentioned though. if it runs at all. bloody bugs

Pyx
(Anasazi)
Ancient
Character name: Anasazi
WoW character race: Draenei
WoW character class: Shaman

Post by Pyx » 05 Dec 2008, 14:33

*feels very sorry for himself, playing GTA4 at a 50" screen while lounging on a sofa*
ImageImage

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 14:34

you should. terrrrible graphics and low fps :) ive played it on an identical setup at a friends.

and what makes you think you cant do that with a pc? except of course at the proper output resolution and not upscaled.

Valeriux
Typhoon Emissary
Character name:

Post by Valeriux » 05 Dec 2008, 14:37

Pyx wrote:*feels very sorry for himself, playing GTA4 at a 50" screen while lounging on a sofa*
Muhaha - I love your subtle way of rubbing it in 8)
Natural / Valeriux / Valeriuxa / Karanius / Mahanie

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 14:39

and er, failing :P

Zarhan
Ancient

Post by Zarhan » 05 Dec 2008, 14:42

Ahem, one thing...you mentioned XBox controls.

Is the old mouse-aiming gone?

I mean, I can't stand the console controls for GTA3&VC&San Andreas. I understand that if you have XBox pad then it resembles those - but please tell that WASD + Mouse is still an option.

If mouselook is taken away then I really don't want to play this thing - either on PC or console.

Jaera
Councillor

Post by Jaera » 05 Dec 2008, 14:43

sure is. but the controls arent as nice as previous ones using mouse and kb