Ditch Vista?

Public general forum, visible to non-members. Here be discussions potentially concerning non-guildies
Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Ditch Vista?

Post by Alikh » 28 Sep 2007, 16:59

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Post by Rhaena » 28 Sep 2007, 17:58

Don Reisinger (the author) is a Linux nazi.

He's one of those people that will always have a go at Microsoft and brown-nose any open-source alternative no matter how crap it is.

He's full of reasons why any Microsoft product is flawed, but never says a words about what is right with them (unless it's to highlight a bigger flaw). He never mentions any of the flaws of OSX or Linux (even if he mentions that Vista has the same flaw).

CNet is a fantastic, but please don't listen to this guy.
You no take candle!

Alikh
(Aliqh)
Ancient
Character name: Aliqh
WoW character race: Night Elf
WoW character class: Demon Hunter
Battle.net character avatar: Aliqh

Post by Alikh » 28 Sep 2007, 18:04

Well, I've been contemplating whether it would be worth using vista. I want to be able to use dx10 extensions, but to have to swallow vista with it.
Also, my current xp installation is showing signs of being installed too long without being reinstalled, so the choice is either to reinstall a clean xp or go for vista.
I don't feel like buying vista though, it's way too expensive for an 'operating system'. For an app that's supposed to be the basis for running all other apps, you'd expect it to be somewhat more mainstream and catered to the home user. Any price for it should be under $100.

Rhaena
Ancient
Character name: Rhaena

Post by Rhaena » 28 Sep 2007, 18:11

Yeh, I've been deliberatly not upgrading to Vista myself. I hate the way DX10 is tied in to Vista - and that some games now require Vista to run.

But when I can afford a DX10 enabled graphics card then it looks like I'll have to. >:(

You could always try the 'trial version' available on all well known torrent sites and see how you get on with it ;)
You no take candle!

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 28 Sep 2007, 18:45

trial versions working fine..

and yes its great wouldnt go back, you cant with a dx10 card :P

Cassini

Post by Cassini » 29 Sep 2007, 18:43

I have Vista and I wouldn't go back to xp now for anything. Imo Vista > xp. The only problem is waiting for everyone else to make their stuff compatable with Vista. This is ongoing though so soon shouldn't be an issue.

Zarhan
Ancient
Character name: Zarhan

Post by Zarhan » 29 Sep 2007, 22:42

I'm running Win'98 on my home gaming PC and it works just fine for me, compatible up to DirectX9 and down to oldest DOS games :).

When I eventually get a new computer I'll probably just use Linux and get Cedega to run my games.

Azraphale

Post by Azraphale » 01 Oct 2007, 01:45

So far I havn't heard a good word said about Vista...

Most people I talk to whinge about it being too memory intensive and being incompatible with virtually evrey piece of software they already have.

Not that I'm anywhere near upgrading any aspect of my PC yet, anyway...

Celsan
Ancient
Character name:

Post by Celsan » 01 Oct 2007, 11:59

My neighbour bought a nice expensive £800 Sony core 2 duo laptop with 2Gb ram and Vista pre-installed.....I'd liken the speed to what I imagine it would be like if you put XP onto a 486....

I'll cling to XP for as long as I can at the moment. If any killer games ever get released that require DX10 (there aren't any at the moment that can only run on DX10 I think) then I'd probably upgrade.

Jaera
Councillor
Character name: Jaera

Post by Jaera » 01 Oct 2007, 12:01

laptops are overpriced for the power.

my e6600 is 2.4 stock and currently at 3.5ghz run everything sweet as a nut and only cost 120ish